

Yes, so , first stop the vet's office. Found our sweet boy "lucky" not doing well. He was splayed on a wire rack, all 4 apendages bound receiving his fluids. He looked absolutely miserable. I petted him and thought he seemed very weak. He laid his tiny head in the palm of my hand. The vet said he's not keeping his food down and he doesn't go to the bathroom. He thinks he has influenza and there is most likely something wrong with his brain. He snaps at the air and twitches, has no good control of his legs. I paid the bill in full and promised to return this evening (in hopes of progress).
Arrived at the workshop and the girls were set up and ready to begin. Dear Miss Lieu is no longer in my class. It was mostly apparent that she wouldn't be able to complete the project. i am sorry and feel a bit like I failed her. Found out that Ly was in a motorbike crash and is in the hospital with a concusion. THat was the most I could understand about her condition... so now I'm down to 3.
It was an odd day. David went home with Stomach problems, although Greg and I are feeling better. Tu and Greg worked so hard today moving furniture into the new shop. It must have been 200 degrees. So hard to do anything, let alone haul furniture down a hot crowded street. Gai was off, most likely the heat and that her friend had the accident. Se had a headache and clearly wasn't feeling well. Still everyone pulled their weight and more. I am truly in awe of the comradery and how disciplined everyone is. Tung showed up as did his friend Tam. Tung is making the button rings and Tam sews with his mouth. He is making headbands, which are really pretty cool. Both of these men have no use of their legs and travel over 2 hours, one way, to get to the workshop. Tung did an amazing job today, creating 10 rings for sale. It's very exciting to see his determination and I am so glad he's a part of this group. i was really happy to see him today and it's clear, he's happy to be with us. Tam was waiting for Tung so they could travel the long road home together, as he was maneuvering his motorbike he caught a dip in the pavement, his ride flipped on it's side and pinned him. He said he was ok, but it was scary and hard to know if he's truly not hurt.
What an off day.
After class I went to the vet to check on Lucky. The vet, Quang, wasn't there and I waited over 20 minutes for him to arrive. In we went to find poor lucky on the rack again getting his fluids. The vet had nothing good to say, all the same news for this puppy. While he got his drip, I fed him the equivlent of cream of rice. His sweet little tail wagged as he took the food through syringe, but his body twitched and convulsed. Then he finished his fluids and the dr. let him loose on the ground. It was difficult to watch how he has no crontol of his legs, no muscle or coordination. He was trying to go to the bathroom, but only liquid came. i did not see him vomit and I eft as the Dr. put him back into his primitive wire cage. I thought it must be hard on his feet and he has such trouble as it is. I did not leave with a comfortable feeling. This sweet dog with determination and so much love is not unlike all the members of Lifestart workshop. I hope he turns a corner by tomorrow.
I met Karen, Greg and Sue at Cafe 43/34 , whichever....
Told them the news. i want Karen to see Lucky for herself and make a decision. We will go and take Dung for translation tomorrow at 5Pm. It may just be the humane thing to let him go.
Greg knows how to make me smile. I felt so lost and sad when I met them and he has such a sharp, quick wit. I enjoy bantering with him, although I'm not sure I can keep up. He's really a great man and friend and clearly Karen and he are each other's right hand and heart.
tomorrow is another day - Yikes! only 4 days left in this very curious adventure. I already know, it's going to be hard not to look back.

Such a sad situation...it would be great if Lucky makes positive progress.
ReplyDeleteThrough your blogs, I have come to know and care about what happens to
your students and the others at Lifestart. I hope that Ly is recovering and doing well. Glad to hear that you are feeling better. xoxoxo
Lynn, I love your blog! From the motorbikes, to Lucky (rooting for him), to your students and the flu bug, it's all so fascinating and wonderful. Enjoy the last few days of your adventure and I hope to see you soon. xoxox
ReplyDelete