Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Big day




Not only was today the last class of my workshop, it was also Sang's 23 birthday, unbeknownst to me. Mai recieved his "push me-pull you" transport, on behalf of all my friends and loved ones, (A HUGE 'CAM ON' (thank you) to each of you!) and I got to go to Hoa's home and little store. Hoa is the woman I drew for my Vietnam memory portrait.

Big, big day.

I didn't sleep a lick last night. By 4 the light was starting to happen, so I headed out the door and off towards the beach to catch the sunrise. I have no idea how to shoot a sunrise, Matt, where are you? It was beautiful and rose quickly. I met Belinda and Brian, from Queensland, and asked them to come by Lifestart if they had time. I felt like I was gone only minutes and had to return back to the hotel for breakfast and a shower, before class.

Off to class and everyone is early, except Ly who is late. Gai seems to be in her "standoff-ish mood" more than ever. David came in and asked how she's doing and she said so so. Maybe she's not well either. The morning progresses with Se and Gai completing products, by the end of the day, Gai has made 5 pairs of earrings and Se 2 sets of bracelet and earrings.
Luu is continuing with rolling her beads and when Ly shows up and gets going the flow of my busy bees is full on.

Break for lunch and Karen orders takeout, too much to catch up on the take a full hour. The order arrives and I begin to eat. It does taste like chicken, but all the pure Vegetarian restaurants we've eaten in, they make the tofu tast like ham, turkey etc.... Then Greg comes to pick up his lunch and it's tofu. I feel terrible I've eaten some of his food and even worse that i didn't question it out loud. First meat since 1986. Fortunately there wasnt much, mostly rice and some other stuff.

For the afternoon Gai and Se learn to package their work. A huge surprise is that Se can't cut her templates! She's been cutting magazines all week long and now she can't do the straight cuts. I actually start to loose it when she destrys three sheets of good paper, not cheap... We bring in Nyguen to help, even she gets frustrated. Se keeps saying it's her glasses. I give her mine and finally a little breakthrough. I give her my glasses to keep. Karen says if she can't package her own products, she can't make them. After all this, I am at a loss with Ly. I have marked the ruler and cut with her and rolled with her. She understands the process, but I don't know if she's lazy or careless, her work is sloppy and not sellable. Karen says it's not a problem, she's not in desparate need of income, like the others, and Karen will find something else for her to do.

We have the cake for Sang, she's so sweet and such a huge smile. Mai is presented his transport. He's a great driver, as he shows everyone else how to do it. I go for a spin and nearly cause a traffic jam. Much harder than it looks.

As we clean up the studio and the translator makes sure eveyone understands, Ly is out. Luu gets one more week of practice until a decision is made. Gai presents me with one of her first pairs of earrings. The violet ones, they are beautiful. Mai brings me a conical hat with the symbol for happiness and Tung presents me with his first mother of pearl button ring. I am hugely moved and happy. Tung is a sucess, as are Gai and Se. I feel that Luu has strong potential and I hope she can do it in the end.

Greg and I head off to a part of town I've not been. We arrive at Hoa's. A tiny little structure with a few rooms. 4 women in 2 bedrooms. The front is the store, a glass cabinet with a couple of shelves. Business is not good, not much to sell. We chat for awhile, and Tung shows up on his way home! I give Hoa a small gift from home, little heart earrings. She likes them and puts them on. We take photos and leave. Another eye opening experience of daily life in Vietnam.

I go back to the workshop, do some photo stuff until I'm kicked out. Head home to drop off all my gifts and then back out to see if my boots are ready. They are and do not fit in any 2 places. I've given up on the clothes, that was a disaster that took much too much time. I can sew better for myself. Really disappointed with the boots. Back again tomorrow.

I have the morning off so I want to head out to Marble Mountain and then my tye-die date with the lantern boys in the afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a very nice last day, but I know it must have been a little bittersweet, too. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete