
I taught 2 color classes on tuesday. The first group were the ones to ne my students for the bead products. All lovely women ranging in ages from 16 to 50. Miss Lieu is the oldest and dearest. She lost her leg to a landmine when she was quite young. i believe she lives in an woman's shelter. It takes her over an hour to "hop" to my class each day. She is one determined woman.
Then there's Miss Se, who has a huge smile for me whenever she catches my eye. Next Miss Ly, who is quite shy and protects herself behind her beautiful long fringe of bangs. By the end of the day, I did get a slight smile from her. Gai is the youngest, I think I was told her parents were fisherman, they were out night fishing and were electrocuted and died. Miss Luu is quiet and determined and finally Sang, my translator. She is fun, gets my stupid jokes and a joy to work with. She has the most beautiful face, when I ask her to explain, she raises a brow, contorts her face with comprehension, translates and then when i ask her if they understand, she says "yeeesssh" and gives me a HUGE smile. Love her.
I think the class went well, they all painted their wheels and to my satisfaction all very nice. The they had fun painting the "year of the tiger" color page I drew for them. I told them to go crazy and paint complementary of analagous schemes. I got one red tiger.
Next group have all done products and were more experienced. The young boys who make the laterns: Hai and (?) were superstars. Very quick learners. Mai who paints the conical hats is a tru artist. His brush stroke were impressionistic and full of energy.
This day gave me confidence that maybe I can offer something, afterall,

This makes me so happy.
ReplyDelete